Sunday 15 May 2011

SMILES AND TEARS

 

As some of you know I have elderly sick Parents my mother with memory problems and my father with Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma.Dad had is last course of chemo therapy just over a week ago and on Thursday he was admitted to hospital. He is in severe pain  which the doctors are struggling to control even with Morphine.He is a very private man and the side effects of all the drugs are difficult for him to deal with. It is so unfair that it should come to this he has fought so hard to beat this cancer  and although he went through this eight years ago age is against him. He has been put into a small side room in isolation as his white blood cell count is down and he has an infection which they are trying to control.

DSC_0109

This photo was taken at their Diamond Wedding anniversary last September a week later Dad was told the cancer had returned. Also at this celebration was my Cousin who was Bridesmaid at their wedding 60 years earlier. Last week  Susan had  her own life turned upside down when her Son took his own life while in the next room.

So in a very short space of time the smiles have turned to tears and life is so very different.

9 comments:

  1. Oh Mary, I am sending positive, healing thoughts to your dad and lots of strength to you and your family. The photo of your parents is beautiful. A beautiful memory of happier times. You are in my thoughts! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. thinking of you sending positive hugs to you all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary - this post made me well up with sadness for you and your family. I'm sorry to hear that things are not going well. What a cute couple your parents are! We should all be so lucky to celebrate a diamond anniversary. Quite an accomplishment in this day and age! No amount of words can help now, I'm sure...so I won't even try. I'm thinking about you (and have been since you shared your story). xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. ah, my heart goes out to all of you, I know how things turn around so fast, happiness can turn to tears so quickly, but we manage to live thru it, we have no choice...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear your news Mary, I'll be thinking of you x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sorry Mary. " Some where out there is a unique place for you to help others a unique life role for you to fill that only you can fill" Thank you for post My Dear friend.

    Pam in memphis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mary dear I am so sorry - I "know" how hard it is. We grow up believing our parents to be so strong. It's terrible to see them finally grow frail and breaks our hearts to know we can't "kiss it better" as they did so often for us. Then to add another tragedy to the pain must be unbearable. I am sending healing vibes and much love.
    Hugs, Lois

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Mary, my thoughts are with you. I feel badly I didn't see this post earlier. :( Sending much love your way.
    xNina

    ReplyDelete
  9. have only just caught up with my blog reading...sorry for your painxx

    ReplyDelete